We want people to enjoy our games for the right reason- to have fun. At NetEnt we take Responsible Gaming seriously and want to offer a source of entertainment that people over the legal age limit* can enjoy in a safe, secure and fair environment. Responsible gaming is a driving force to maintain a sustainable business.
*Legal age limit – 18+ except for New Jersey 21+.
As a licensed casino software provider in many jurisdictions, NetEnt ensures that all of our games are developed to the highest standards and are fully compliant in meeting the requirements set out by the regulating authorities. It is our strategy to enter regulated markets and we fully support new regulations which place important responsible gaming criteria on both us as suppliers and operators (the casinos).
Netent as a software provider (B2B), has no direct relationship with the players. However we believe it is our responsibility to provide our customers (the operators) all of the tools and support they need when it comes to responsible gaming.
How Do We Ensure Game Security, Fairness and Accreditation?
NetEnt’s platform and games, including the random number generators (RNG) used to randomly produce the game results, are tested and certified by independent accredited test facilities (ATF). They verify that our products meet all the regulations, including player protection, fairness, and security, for the regulated markets in which we operate. Current ATFs include:
- eCOGRA – Live Casino testing and certification
- Gaming Laboratories International – Onsite security inspection
- iTech Labs – Platform and game testing and certification
- Technical Services Bureau – Platform and game testing and certification
NetEnt tools for Player Protection
As part of our responsible gaming offering to our customers (the operators), we offer features to help them promote responsible gaming and keep gaming safe and fun. Some examples are:
Self-control and self-protection tools available in the NetEnt CasinoModule™ include:
- Self-Exclusion: Players who experience difficulties in controlling the amount of time or money they are spending on our games are strongly encouraged to contact the online casino where they have registered their account, providing their username, in order to request temporary or permanent freezing of their account. Since all authentication and authorization is controlled by the online casino operator they can effectively prevent a self-excluded player from accessing NetEnt games. NetEnt also provides API functionality that lets the online casino operator block player access to the casino for a limited time. Players should be aware that online casinos are responsible for the terms and conditions for self-exclusion, however, typically any remaining funds will remain on the players’ account, or can be manually withdrawn to the chosen payment method upon request, and no marketing material will be sent to the player during the period that their account is closed.
- Play Limits: NetEnt provides API functionality for setting game play limits, and support for the display of in-game messages when limits have been reached. In order for these limits to apply for all games that a player is exposed to, the limits must be implemented by the online casino operator to span between NetEnt and non-NetEnt products. NetEnt limits include overall loss and bet limits per session/day/week/month, session length, bet limit for a specific game and maximum single bet by game.
- Reality Checks: When the NetEnt casino solution is configured, additional measures can be put in place to regularly remind players how long they have been playing, and how much they have won or lost. The Reality check feature displays a periodic in-game notification to real-money players during game play. Game play is suspended when the check is displayed, and only resumed once the player has acknowledged the message. This functionality is enabled by default in most jurisdictions.
- Game Speed: To make game play safer NetEnt’s casino solution can be configured so that a certain amount of time (typically 3 seconds) must pass between two game rounds. With this configuration the game quick spin functionality is not enabled.
- Visible Clock: NetEnt’s games feature support for time displays that makes it easier for players to maintain a correct sense of time.
Prevention and Treatment Research
Research into the prevention and treatment of problem gambling is critical to build knowledge that can guide the industry in prevention and treatment strategies. NetEnt is committed to donating to research into the prevention and treatment of problem gambling, public education on the risks of gambling and how to gamble safely and the identification and treatment of problem gamblers. Currently NetEnt is a financial supporter of GambleAware in the UK and the international organization Gambling Therapy.